Thursday, November 26, 2015

Blissfully Unaware

Monday was an exhausting day. It was full of running around, hustling little kids in and out of car seats and included very minimal rest for all of us. 

Remie Jr. had been dealing with a virus that included extreme coughing and fatigue for entirely too long so I finally decided to take him to the doctor. The poor kid was diagnosed with a double ear infection but thankfully his lungs were clear. 

After Charlotte came home from school, I loaded all of my clowns into our massive van and headed to CVS to retrieve Remie's prescription for an antibiotic. I pulled up to the drive through window. Side note: with 5 kids, we never go anywhere that doesn't either have a drive through window or a large shopping cart to keep our entire family circus contained. 

At the drive through window, I tell the pharmacist that I'm picking up for Remie. He asks me how to spell our last name and inevitably gets it wrong (can you blame him?) Then he asks me Remie's date of birth. Now the pressure is on. It's like a damn quiz anytime someone asks me for one of my children's birth dates. The kids are lucky I remember all of their names. I pause for a second and spit out "January 5th.....crap what year was that kid born??? Two thousand....seven?" 

The pharmacist explains that it'll be a few minutes before the prescription is ready. I zone out at the window and enjoy a few minutes of solitude. The pharmacist comes back to the window and is laughing hysterically. I'm thinking that I must've missed a funny joke or something. 

Then he asks me "How many kids do you have in that car?"

I say "5, why?"

He laughed and said, "They are so loud that we can all hear their little voices, their giggling and their singing inside the store!"

I felt my face start to blush. I didn't even  notice that my kids were making any noise. Then I looked up and saw a line of people inside the store, waiting at the pharmacy. They were all smiling and laughing at the chaos that I was obliviously unaware of going on in my car.

Next the pharmacist proudly announced, "My wife and I want to have 6 children!"

Surprised by his proclamation I asked, "how many children do you have right now?"

Pharmacist "None."

Then it was my turn to start laughing. I wished him luck and drove away, chucking all the way home!



No comments: