Saturday, August 2, 2014

An Inside Look at BHS

What a crazy week we've had! It started with Grace's BHS (breath holding spells) getting so severe and frequent that I thought it warranted a call to the doctor. 

In case you don't follow me on Facebook or you don't know what BHS are, let me explain. BHS are when a trigger, in Gracie's case hitting/bumping her head, causes her to be extremely frightened and anxious and therefore she holds her breath until she passes out. I hate the term "holds her breath" because it implies that she can control the behavior. A better description is that she can't breathe and can't take a deep breath no matter how hard she tries. BHS are involuntary and aren't caused by a strong willed toddler or any other behavior "problem".

BHS are terrifying for everyone involved. Here is a video example of a BHS:

Gracie's normal pattern for her spells would be:
-Occur occasionally, about once every few weeks
-Bump head
-Quick cry
-Hold breath
-Quickly pass out
-Once unconscious start breathing immediately
- Begin to become conscious, cries and is scared for about 10 minutes
-Resumes normal activity and acts like herself.

About two weeks ago, Grace's spells became more severe. They were happening every day when she got even the most minimal bump on her head. The scariest part is that when she would pass out she wouldn't start breathing immediately. It was gradually taking longer and longer for her to take her first deep breath again. It was to the point that I was about to call 9-1-1 each time Grace passed out. She was also very cranky afterwards for hours. She didn't go back to her normal happy self for a long time.

So I called Dr. Little to tell him about the change in her spells. He reassured me that BHS are a common phenomem in childhood and that although it's incredible scary, Grace is ok and will be ok. BHS have shown to have no adverse health effects on the child and they normally grow out of it within a few years. He also explained that sometimes an iron deficiency will cause BHS to become more frequent and more severe. He sent Grace for blood tests right away. Other than an iron supplement, there's no treatment for BHS.

Remie and I decided that "no treatment" is unacceptable and we knew that we couldn't go through a few years terrified at the thought of Grace getting hurt and passing out. 

Our first approach was our faith. Remie and I prayed that even though there is no cure for BHS that God would heal her so we didn't have to live in fear. I also had to come to a place in my heart and head where I let go of my fear, realized that I can't control Grace's BHS and completely trust that God IS in control. I gave Him my complete trust that He loves Grace more than I do and that He is able to keep her safe even if I can't. It's quite a freeing feeling for a mother.

The second thing I did was scour the internet for stories of other children with BHS and remedies that helped them. We are a very naturally minded family and I wasn't surprised when I found that people had wonderful results with a few different essential oils that help ease anxiety. I immediately started putting the oils on Grace's feet while we waited for her blood results to come back.

The first day with prayer and oils, grace fell and hit her head. I scooped her up, she held her breath and right at the moment she normally passes out, she took a deep, beautiful, breath and was fine. 

The next day, Grace stood up under the table and bonked her head on it. I wanted to run to her but instead stood back and watched what happened. Normally with this type of bump she'd be about ready to pass out. This time she rubbed her head and said "ouch!" And continued playing. I didn't know what was causing the change but I wasn't going to argue!

Then Doctor Little called with Grace's blood results. It appears that her iron was on the low side of normal. But some of her other blood counts indicated that her little body was looking for something and Dr Little suspected that it was iron. He told us to get Grace on an iron supplement.

Grace has been on iron for two days now in addition to the oils and prayer. I'm overjoyed to report that Grace has not had one single BHS in 3 days!!! She is back to her normal happy, silly and loving self!


Thank you for all of your love and support during these scary times with Grace. We will still need prayer as we navigate through her healing process but are comforted in knowing that God's on our side.



1 comment:

imscottb said...

How's Gracie doing with her BHS spells?? Hoping better. Praying for you and Remie that the iron and oils will be the cure the Lord sent.

Love, 2.0