Wednesday, September 14, 2016

My First Taste of the Country

I knew moving to the country would come with some uncomfortable adjustments. I was prepared for deer grazing in my backyard, raccoons, mice and maybe some other wild life. I knew I'd learn about raising chickens, septic systems and well water. However, I absolutely was NOT prepared for what happened today!

We have not yet moved to the new house but are anxiously waiting for the sellers to GET OUT! The seller called me yesterday to let me know that my diabetic supplies were delivered to the new house. I told her I'd stop by after I dropped the kids off at school. She said she'd leave the box on the porch for me. Easy peasy, right?

Oh was I ever wrong.

Poor naive Vicki.

As I pulled up to the new house I envisioned all that I want to do to spruce it up and make it our forever home. Pull some weeds here, add some shutters, new siding and maybe even a white picket fence. I pranced to the front door and there was my package sitting on the porch as promised. As I snatched up the box my worst nightmare became a reality. Crawling out from under the box was the biggest black spider I have ever seen! It was easily the size of my palm. I screamed loudly and threw the box at the spider! Stupidest.move.ever!!!!! Now I needed to somehow gain enough nerve to pick up the package without upsetting or touching the growling spider. For a moment I considered saying "screw it" to the diabetic supplies and just be content growing an XL baby. Then I envisioned the seller coming home, seeing my box thrown against the wall and laughing at what a wuss I was. I took a few deep breaths and counted to three. 1...2....3! I grabbed box and shook it violently to make sure my spider didn't have family that took up residence inside my glucose monitor. I then ran to my van, holding the box as far away from me as possible. I threw the box in the far back of my van. I left the package in my van until Remie got home to open it for me!

No comments: