Thursday, August 27, 2015

You've Got it All Wrong

Almost daily people tell me that they don't know how I do it with 5 kids. I really never know how to respond because juggling 5 kids is extremely busy but not something that takes much skill. I like to compare it to herding squirrels. The kids run around like rabid squirrels while I simply herd them in the direction that we are going.



Yesterday my mother-in-law took Isaac to spend a special day with Grandma. That left me with 4 kids.


Then Charlotte and Remie went to play at a friend's house. That made 2 kids.


Henry went down for a nap and which left me with one child.


You'd think I would've been celebrating and doing a happy dance that I successfully pawned off so many of my kids at the same time. You are sorely mistaken. The one hour that I was alone with Grace was the longest freaking hour of my life! There were no other kids to entertain Grace when she got bored so she entertained herself by climbing on top of her dresser and doing a jig. Seriously.


There were no other kids to tattle on Grace when she decided to color her face wth brown marker.



Or when she was eating play dough...


I had a sudden revelation that I need to keep a closer eye on my kids. So I decided Grace and I would have some Mommy-daughter bonding time by making homemade tortillas.


And then Grace ate the raw dough

and then poured the bag of flour on the ground.


I was so thankful when Charlotte and Remie returned home and started playing with Grace so I could get a break! They took Grace outside while I cleaned up the half eaten tortilla dough, play dough, brown marker and whatever else Grace got into while the big kids were gone.


The moral of this story is that you shouldn't look at me and wonder how I do it with 5 kids. The real Super Moms are the ones with 1 or 2 kids! I don't know how they do it without the help of older children. Moms of 2 or less should be applauded that they make it through each day with their sanity intact! Well done ladies!

No comments: