Wednesday, February 1, 2012

KINDERGARTEN!!!

It seems like just yesterday my 8lb 10oz little man was placed in my arms for the very first time making me a mommy. In what seemed like an instant my little man turned into quite a cute little boy who's excited about going to kindergarten in the fall.

You may think it's too early to be thinking about kindergarten for Remie. Honestly, I agree with you on that! I am not nearly ready to let my little guy leave me so soon! Kindergarten registration starts in a few weeks and I want to make sure I send Remie to the best school possible so I am researching my options.

Option #1- Home Schooling
I once thought that because I am a certified elementary teacher that I would make the best home school teacher ever! I invisioned myself standing in front of my kids, teaching them with big birght smiles on their faces and having the time of our lives. I have come to realize that just because you can teach other people's children doesnt mean that you can teach your own children. I tried home schooling preschool with Remie. That lasted all of about a week because I spent more time trying to keep Charlotte occupied than actually teaching.
VERDICT- OPTION #1 NOT FOR US!

Option #2- Private School
I love the idea of a private school. Having my children learn about their faith as well as academics all in one place sounds terrific, right? There's just one problem...I taught in a private school and that has made me realize that just because it's private doesn't mean it's perfect. This post is not to offend anyone considering sending their children to private school. We each need to do what we believe is right for our children. So, to get back to my teaching days at the private school...theres a few downfalls to private schools. The big one to me is that the teachers do NOT have to be certified! Each school has its own rules and regulations about teachers education and continuing education. Also, it was frustrating that if the school had a decline in enrollment then certain school supplies had to be neglected. I remember times when I would have to buy pencils for my class. Although I didnt mind buying things for my class, there are some items that just need to be supplied for the students. If we decide to send our children to private school, I'm making sure that the teachers are certified, required to take continuing education courses and ask about the budget and where the tuition money goes.
VERDICT- OPTION 2 IS A POSSIBILITY

Option #3- Public School
I think it's funny that when I mention sending my children to public school people gasp and act like I am sending them into the ghettos of Detroit for school. I've taught in Detroit and I feel extremely blessed that we live in the Utica Community School District. I really like the Utica School District. Teachers are qualified and continually taking classes to better the education for our children. I'm friends with a lot of teachers in this district and I have found that teaching is their life and they will do anything for their students success. I also like that my children will go to school with the kids in the neighborhood rather then being the outsider at a different school. One thing I dont like is that kindergarten is full day. There's no longer an option for half day kindergarten which is what I would prefer.  I think the transition from 3 half days a week to 5 fulls days is a big one for 5 year olds. Also, sometimes the class sizes are rather large- 35 students to one teacher seems excessive.
VERDICT-OPTION #3 IS A POSSIBILITY

Kindergarten Open Houses are popping up all over February and you can bet I will be at them. I am going to try to listen to what each school offers with an open mind, then we will pray about what option is best for our family and go from there. I'm sure over the next few weeks you will hear me contemplating our options!

2 comments:

kmac said...

You should check out Peace Lutheran in Shelby. We send our kids there and have been very happy with the education/staff there. The teachers are excellent. The school performs very well on the standardized testing that all grades take each year. Usually in the top 5-10%.

Jenna@CallHerHappy said...

Oi! What a decision you have to make. Thank God you are a praying mommy :) I will pray for you too. Also, I am so looking forward to following your blog! It's like all the advice and experience from my favorite person all in one place.

xo